Section 4: Pedestrian Tracking
Indoor Segway Tracking
|||Heuristics-enhanced Odometry (HEO) eliminates odometry heading errors when used indoors, in structured environments.|
• Does not require any sensors other than wheel encoders for odometry.
• Does not require beacons or any other external reference.
• Works in real time, requires only 20-30 lines of C code.
• Provides near-zero heading errors in drives of unlimited duration and distance*.
• Provides position error <1% of
*These specs apply only to purposeful driving from A to B inside buildings. Prolonged activities like turning in circles or playing Segway Polo will cause large odometry errors.
15-minute Segway ride with a total travel distance of 1,800 m (1.12 miles).
(a) With odometry only, the average position error was 16.3 m. (b) With HEO, the average position error was 1.0 m.
For detailed experimental results, click here.